Sync Release: How do I set the Recommendation Configuration to allow Parents and/or Students to enter course recommendations for Elective courses?
You need to set several parameters for entering Recommendations for Electives and set up your Elective courses in the Course Catalog.
1. You need to set the Number of Electives allowed to be entered. Go to Scheduling System > Maintenance – Scheduling > Recommendation Configuration. Enter Number of Electives.
2. You need to select the Departments for Electives. On the Recommendation Configuration screen, use the Ctrl-key to click and select the Departments where your Elective courses can be found.
3. You need to give the Parent and/or Student the ability to enter “Electives Only” or “Electives & Departments” on the Recommendations screen. On the Recommendation Configuration screen, select “Elective’s Only” or “Electives & Departments” in the Parent and/or Student “Can Add Recommendation” sections.
4. Optional: You can also give the Parent and/or Student the ability to enter Alternates to an Elective. On the Recommendation configuration screen, select “Parent/Student Entered Elective” in the Parent and/or Student sections.
5. You need to set all the courses you want to be available as an “Elective” course to Available as Elective = Yes in the Course Catalog. These courses that will then be the only ones displayed when using the magnifying glass/Course Search Filter screen.
You can use the Course Details > Fields to Update to set the “Available as Elective” field. Go to Scheduling System > Maintenance - Scheduling > Course Catalog > Course Details. Select Field to Update = Available as Elective. Set all courses you want to be available as an “Elective” to Yes. Submit each screen before moving to the “Next” screen.